National Domestic Violence Hotline:
1-800-799-7233 / 1-800-787-3224 TTY
“Serving the Latino Communities in Wisconsin Since 1996”
UNIDOS exists to empower the community to break the cycle of domestic violence, end sexual assault and promote healthy family systems. UNIDOS existe para capacitar a la comunidad para romper el ciclo de la violencia doméstica, terminar con el abuso sexual y promover sistemas de familia saludables.
• Social justice: respecting human dignity and promoting social equity
• Education: providing safe venues to dismantle myths about domestic and sexual violence
• Empowerment: supporting victims/survivors to seek community driven solutions to end violence
• Collaboration: building a strong coalition of victims, survivors and allies
• Justicia Social: respetar la dignidad humana y la promover la equidad social
• Educación: Crear espacios seguros para desmantelar mitos sobre la violencia doméstica y sexual
• Empoderamiento: apoyar a las víctimas/sobrevivientes para buscar soluciones impulsados por la comunidad para poner fin a la violencia
• Colaboración: construir una unión fuerte de víctimas, sobrevivientes y aliados
UNIDOS was started in 1996 as a group of volunteers committed to helping Latina survivors of domestic violence access local services. The organization started as a result of social action research conducted with migrant farm worker communities in central WI between 1994 and 1996. This early research indicated that, although domestic violence (DV) was a serious problem within the Latino migrant and immigrant community, local DV services did not have the resources to work with this group of abused women. Staff from local agencies needed assistance to learn about Latino culture and how the problem of domestic violence was uniquely experienced by our community. To that end, UNIDOS has become a leader around the state as a resource for training and technical assistance to a variety of agencies around the state working with abused Latinas. In 2001, UNIDOS Against Domestic Violence became a 501©3, not-for-profit agency.
Today, UNIDOS works providing direct service in Dane, Rock and surrounding Counties with a staff of 4 employees. However, we also provide statewide education and technical assistance to colleagues and professionals who wish to improve their services to Latinos in Wisconsin.
We receive funding from the Department of Children and Families (DCF), the Department of Justice (DOJ), and the City of Madison. Also, in addition to private donations, we are proud members of Community Shares of Wisconsin.